3 Tricks For Selling More Tickets To Your Local Event

how to use yelp for your businessWhere I live we have these people called “local promoters.”

If you’re not familiar with the term think Don King but for events that are 1/32 the size of Tyson vs. Hollifield (keep Kings’ ego).

Then take the promotion budget for an Iron Mike fight and decrease it by 97% and take the other 3% and put it in your pocket.

Next, throw in a bunch of spam tactics on Facebook, Twitter, and SMS, coupled with some hope and a wish from the business owner that people show up and wah-law…

Local Promoter.

If you’ve used someone like this and were happy with his or her service, then this post isn’t for you.

But if you’d like to learn 3 easy tricks that you can implement yourself to give you an extra edge, both showing up online for search terms related to your event and selling more tickets, then keep reading.

The Name

A common mistake that I see with local events is the name.

Keep it simple and don’t keep the customer guessing.

Don’t name your New Years Eve Party “The Gala of Future Per-Petulance”

No one is going to search that and it’s confusing.

If you’re using a promoter, fight tooth and nail that they don’t name it some cutesy term they love (unless you have a huge budget and time to brand it).

Here’s how I do it:

“Haunted Halloween Party”

This goes on all the collateral e.g. flyers, image ads, tickets, etc.

And here’s how I modify the title for SEO:

“[TownName] Haunted Halloween Party at [BusinessName]”

Use this for the dedicated event page title, in the description tag, and event name for submitting to other websites, a.k.a citations.

 

Search Engines

You now have a search friendly title, on a page with killer sales copy (right?), which really moves the user to buy some tickets.

Not all search engines are going to understand that this page is about an event so you’ll need to create a schema for it.

This may sound technical but it’s easy to do. Use Raven Tools Event Schema Generator and you’ll have the code you need in no time.

Here’s a tip, when you list your event on other sites use the same category that is in your schema.

You can either lead off with the code, mix it in the copy, or place it at the end.

If you host a lot of events create one page that just has your schemas for events on it.

what event schemas look like in search results

Ticket Sales

People can search your event name and you show up.

Search engines can crawl your site and understand what it’s about.

Now dollars need to be collected so you can reap the fruits of your labor.

I won’t get into the specifics but I always use Eventbrite for ticket sales. I’ll get into this on another post.

Before you embed your ticket widget on your site, let me save you some time.

Use 3 proven placements that drive sales.

  1. Try to use a sales page for the event (full width, no menu) and insert the Ticket Form 3/4 of the way down the post.
  2. Implement a “pop up” window that also uses the Ticket Form and add just the minor details: event name, date, and time.
  3. Last but not least, insert the Countdown widget in your sidebars. I tested this widget out and it increased sales by over 25% for an event.

increase ticket sales on eventbrite

Next Steps

Before you waste another minute…

Update the title tag on your event web page.

Create a schema for your event.

And place sales widgets on your site to help drive conversions.

 

 

Leave a comment below and let us know how you market your local event online.

Or share this post

[social_share/]

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *